special CVS question

Hi,

after first time using CVS, I'd like to ask something:

Why isn't it possible to _first_ download the winsup-cvs archive from the
Redhat sources server, _then_ update it with the most recent files from the
CVS server?

I analyzed the CVS bzip'ed winsup tarball from the server and all paths
start with the winsup\ path.
But if I DO NOT download the tarball and first start the 'cvs checkout
winsup', then everything is placed below 'src\'.
I'd like to have these sources placed in /usr/src.

So I cd'ed to /usr, and started CVS there. With 'cvs checkout winsup' all
the files were perfectly placed in /usr/src/winsup, /usr/src/....
But now it comes: I cd'ed to /usr/src, moved the old files to another
directory to get them out of my sight, unpacked the tarball into /usr/src/
... . I couldn't use the same directory ( /usr) for this, because the base
paths didn't match.

Then I tried to update THIS unpacked tarball by the files from CVS - this
didn't work, it complained abut a missing CVS/Entries.
Two questions:

 1) Why are the base paths inside your tarballs starting with winsup\ whilst
the paths from CVS all begin with src/winsup... ? Is there a definite
reason?
I'd suggest to set the base path in the tarball to 'src/...'  too, to get
them to a standardized format.
 2)  Do I require to download the single CVS files first, before I can
update?
 I'd rather prefer to unpack the bzipped archive and update _this_ via CVS
single-file-wise.

Thanks for your help...
Andreas