Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Young" <warren@etr-usa.com>
To: "egor duda" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?

> egor duda wrote:
> >
> > i wholeheartedly agree that lots of cygwin users will benefit from
> > rock-stable cygwin. the main question is "what cygwin team should do
> > for this?"
>
> To answer this it might be helpful to know where Cygwin is going.  I

http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_1.html#SEC1

Anything that expands the quality (speed/security/flexability/API's
supported) of the cygwin library. That's it. All the software you get is
incidental to cygwin itself. If you mean Cygwin the volunteer run
distribution of open source software linked to the cygwin library, well
I think the closest model we've got for comparison is debian. (In that
the _distribution_ itself is not a business for anyone. ) And at the
moment everyone who's contributing is either being altruistic because
noone else was willing, and they didn't want to see cygwin suffer, or
they are scratching their own itch and helping out because it's trivial
for them (ie Squid and I).

> assume that the overall goal is stepwise refinement towards Linuxness
or
> similar.  So, how far are we from that goal?

Well thats a hard question. linuxness and similar are all moving
targets. How long is a piece of string?

Name a piece of software that runs on linux. If it doesn't run on
cygwin, then document the missing or broken cygwin functions and you can
then point to something thats in the "gap between here and the goal".

Rob