Continued: small DOS program fails (Permission Denied) when run from Bash in XEmacs

This is a continuation of an earlier issue.  I have a small DOS program,
compiled and linked with MS tools, which executes fine in a standalone "cmd"
window, and in a standalone Bash window, and within GNU make in either
window.  However, when the Bash shell is running in XEmacs, it fails with
"Permission Denied".  I put a printf at the top of "main", and it isn't
getting there.  I would really appreciate some help understanding what is
going on here.

I even tried printing "env" in the "good" and "bad" environments and
manually setting (or unsetting) all the variables in the "bad" environment
to match the "good" one, then rerunning it, but that didn't help.  However,
there were two variables set in the "good" environment that I didn't set in
the "bad" environment, because I didn't understand them.  They looked like
this (straight from the "env" output):

  !C:=C:\WINNT\PROFILES\david.karr\DESKTOP
  !D:=D:\cygwin\bin

What can I do to get any kind of clue of what is going on here?