Re: Broken Bash 2.05? a configure can't find /bin/sh

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 08:59:41AM -0600, Troy Noble wrote:
>bash doesn't get installed as /bin/sh, it gets installed as /bin/bash.

I'm not sure why you are making this observation.  The error that
Dennis is reporting is that he couldn't find /bin/sh.  The error
is coming *from* bash but there is no indication that he wants
/bin/bash to be copied to /bin/sh.

The solution is probably to rerun setup.exe and specifically select
'ash'.  If it seems to be installed, uninstall it and then reinstall it.

If that still doesn't solve the problem then 'cygcheck -r -s -v' output
will probably pinpoint the problem.

>The "ash" package (a Bourne shell clone) is the one that actually gets
>installed as /bin/sh.  So if you didn't install ash*.tar.gz, you've
>likely not got a /bin/sh.
>
>What we've done to get around this is install the "bash" package, but
>not the "ash" package, and then we:
>
>cp -p /bin/bash.exe /bin/sh.exe
>
>and that ensures that we are always running bash and that /bin/sh
>is always there.  We've standardized on BASH for our purposes here,
>so this is acceptable practice for our environment.
>
>YMMV.

Indeed.  Please don't do this, or even recommend it unless you really
know what you're doing.  Suggesting that people with problems modify
their installation in a non-standard way is generally not good advice.

cgf

cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/