environment question: gdb and PWD

Hello,

forgive me if the question is dumb, but I could not find any info in the
info pages for gdb and I am not sure
if this is a cygwin behaviour or a gdb thing. Question is, when I do a "show
env" in gdb I do not get the
PWD variable. Since my program uses getenv it crashes when I debug it
(unless I set PWD manually).
Is there a way of starting gdb so that it inherits PWD?

Thanks for your time,

Marco