Re: A list of help needed

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:40:26PM -0800, Curious Mind wrote:
> I went into the inetutils-1.3.2 folder and went to run a make (thinking this
> would be the best place to start). The make file went thru completely. Then
> I proceeded to run a Make Install. It went thru fine. Now I wasnt quite sure

Why didn't you use the precompiled binaries?

> where to go from there to start the telnet daemon so I read the
> inetutils-1.3.2.README. Inside that file it tells me to do 'net start inetd'

No, it didn't tell you that. It tells:

  Under W9X inetd can be started from a shell prompt or from the
  autostart folder.

  Under NT/W2K inetd must be started from service manager. It
  [...]

> installed. As far as im aware I do have these installed :). So any pointers
> on how to get this up and going would be greatly appreciated.

And you didn't mention that you have called `iu-config' which
creates the important files in /etc for you.

> 3)  When I type 'who' i get the response 'who: /var/run/utmp
> '. Is this supose to be that way? If not how can I correct this?

That's ok. It's empty since you didn't login to the system.
Using Cygwin from the console window doesn't leave footprints
in /var/run/utmp.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.