Do me a favor

If you are experiencing a cygwin1.dll problem, you might have an old one in
the system or system32 directory.
When I gave the bad advice about putting the cygwin1.dll there, I did not
know about building a Windows only program with -mno-cygwin. I take my old
advice back now. Remove that cygwin1.dll
and your problem will go away. The Cygwin distribution is stable. It works.
I promise you.
Sorry for giving mis-guided information when I should have researched
further.