Re: G++ guru's please comment - Re: FW: pthread_create problem in Cygwin 1.1.8-2]

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem, as I understand it, is that gcc is not built with thread
support which is required for exception handling to work in a
multithreaded environment. Unfortunately the thread support has not been
ported to the win32 api. I suspect functionality like "pthread_once" to
be required (tricky to implement).

The error you get is a result of a race condition on a lookup table
shared by all threads. The stack is NOT corrupted in any way.

It seems that the "lookup table" is required by the exception handling
mechanism. Alternatively it could be used for stack backtracing.

I have searched the gcc site but have only come up with the following:

See: http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

--enable-threads -- Specify that the target supports threads. This
affects the Objective-C compiler and runtime library, and exception
handling for other languages like C++ and Java.

--enable-threads=lib -- Specify that lib is the thread support library.
This affects the Objective-C compiler and runtime library, and exception
handling for other languages like C++ and Java.
<<<

René