SSHD and logins

HI:

I have configured a SSHD on a NT4.0 member server running SP6. I've configured sshd to start via SRVANY. I can see the service has started and have verified that I can at least attempt a connetion via SecureCRT on my client machine. I'm prompted to accept the keys however connection fails at the password stage. I receive the message "Password Authentication failed.

I have SSHD running against the system account. I do have a service account for SSHD however I wanted to get it working in a fairly vanilla environement first.

As I'm running SSHD on a non-domain controller I'd like to use the local accounts for user authentication. I thought this was controlled via the /etc/passwd file. However when I launch cygwin and then login and attempt to login with the username and password I've set login fails.

I have also poured over the documentation and do not understand where I should set the netsec variable. Please tell me what file this variable needs to configured for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thxs./rav