RE: building the _tkinter.a or _tkinter.dll for cygwin

Charles S. Wilson writes:

>Norman Vine wrote:
>>
>> _tkinter and its variants will work just fine with the
>> Cygwin tcltk distribution
>>
>> You will need the tcl/tk x11 include files though
>> These live in their normal place in /usr/include/x11
>> You will either need to down load the tcltk source distribution
>> as these are no longer distributed in the Cygwin package
>> or you can get just the headers from here
>> http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/cygwin/X11.zip
>
>Be warned that doing this will clobber the pseudo-X11 include file
>"/usr/include/X11/x11.h" that is part of the cygwin xpm package; this
>include file is for the "noX" version of xpm.

Nope

 noX xpm installs
/usr/include/X11/simx.h
/usr/include/X11/xpm.h

 and noX Tk installs
/usr/include/X11/cursorfont.h
/usr/include/X11/keysym.h
/usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h
/usr/include/X11/X.h
/usr/include/X11/Xatom.h
/usr/include/X11/Xfuncproto.h
/usr/include/X11/Xlib.h
/usr/include/X11/Xutil.h

so there is no clash :-)

>Why can't the tcl/tk x11 include files live in the *normal*
>/usr/X11R6/include/X11 location?

This would work but ....

FWIW
I believe that /usr/include/X11 is where they were installed
before they were pulled from the distribution, and wouldn't
putting them there cause real 'X' conflicts ?

Cheers

Norman Vine