Re: cvs broken on win2k after recent cygwin upgrade: "The descriptoris a file, not a socket"

Dmitrii Pasechnik wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Matthew D. Langston wrote:
>
> >I just upgraded this afternoon to the latest version of cygwin (by running
> >http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/setup.exe), and now cvs no longer works.  I
> >get the following error message when trying to do a "cvs update" or a "cvs
> >checkout" using pserver:
> >
> >cvs [checkout aborted]: writing to server: The descriptor is a file, not a
> >socket

This looks like the error that was experienced by users without winsock2
support after Corinna added some new stuff to the networking code in
cygwin1.dll.  In that case, these poor benighted users could donwload
from Microsoft the winsock2 support for their Win95 OS.

But W2K has winsock2 support.

And I use and develop for cygwin exclusively on Win2k SP1 -- and cvs
works for me.

> >I am running cygwin under Win2k SP1, with the version of cvs (cvs version
> >1.11) that installed automatically when the aforementioned setup program was
> >run.
> >
> strange, because I'm running cvs in exactly the same environment.
> (only I don't know if your executable is the same)
> mine is 1466946 bytes, dated Oct 23 2000, cvs 1.11
>
> I don't remember whether I updated it when running setup to ugrade to
> cygwin 1.1.8, or not.

I doubt it -- cygwin's cvs package hasn't been updated since last
October.  There are a few buglets that I know of that still need fixin'
-- but I don't know how to correct them yet...so, no new cvs package..

> >The previous version of cygwin that I was using (and that had a working cvs)
> >was installed sometime last fall (around October 2000 if memory serves).
> >So, it appears that the cygwin upgrade that I did this afternoon caused cvs
> >to stop working.
> >
> >I noticed that this problem was mentioned in the mail archives from last
> >month (see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-02/msg00007.html), but
> >there didn't seem to be any mention of a workaround.  Is there anyone who
> >could help me solve this problem?

Corinna, did something change in the cygwin networking code between
1.1.4 and 1.1.8-2 that could have caused this failure?

> rebuild from source?
> it's on www.cvshome.org, and doesn't need any patches for cygwin, imho...

Unless you want to host a local repository, and are using Win9x (FAT
disks) or on WinNT/2K but with FAT drives.  In that case, 'cvs init'
will fail becuase the gdbm database support used by cvs doesn't work
properly on FAT.

My patches enable this to work; as with all cygwin packages, full
patches source is available from your local cygwin mirror.  If you need
to rebuild from source, use the version provided by cygwin.

--Chuck
cvs maintainer