True Cygwin Tcl/Tk without X?

Hi,

I have a Tcl/Tk (wish) application that I want to run in the Cygwin
environment. I tried cygwish80 (which works fine for the Tk stuff), but
(despite its name) doesn't seem to respect the Cygwin conventions (eg. it
requires faux Windows-style path names (eg. C:/cygwin/ vs. /) and doesn't
follow symbolic links). I guess cygwish80 was built with -mno-cygwin.

I got everything to work by building in the unix directories of Tcl and Tk
8.3.2, linking to Xlib. However I'd still prefer to be able to use the
Windows Tk GUI (because it's faster, and so I don't have to start the
X-server for this program). Is this possible, or better, has anyone been
able to build Tcl/Tk without -mno-cygwin, but with the Windows GUI?

I made some progress by linking the win version of Tk against the unix
version of Tcl (all 8.3.2 from scriptics). With a few hacks it built OK, and
ran my script (reading the correct files according to the Cygwin conventions
and creating the right GUI), but didn't allow any interaction (it sat there
with a "busy" cursor, eating CPU).

Before trying to track this problem down further (I can't say I'm much of a
Tcl/Tk or Cygwin expert), I'd like to check whether this is a reasonable
avenue to explore. Do you think I'm on the right track? Are there any
Windows Tcl features that Windows Tk requires, or Unix Tk features that the
Cygwin build requires?

One thing that might help would be to compare against the cygwish80 build,
but I couldn't get this to (trivially) build from the Cygwin source. How's
that done?

Thanks,
Tim.

PS. Just a warning for the wise: don't try "make test" on the unix version
of Tcl. One of the tests is to try to rename "/" to something else. On a
real Unix system, this naturally fails, but Cygwin allows it (I wonder
whether it should?), and dies in an horribly inconvenient fashion. Even when
I'd recovered from that and found my cygwin directory, I discovered that I'd
lost everything in /bin up to bash.exe (maybe due to the resulting
confusion, or some other test). Nasty!

PPS. Oh, I'm using the current latest+contrib Cygwin (1.18-2) and cygwish80
from tcltk-20001125-1 on Win2K SP1.

Tim Adye, BaBar/DELPHI Groups, Particle Physics Dept.,     _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   T.J.Adye@rl.ac.uk or VXCERN::ADYE (HEPNET/SPAN)  =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!