Perl and linebreaks

Searching the archives I gathered that a few people already experienced
problems similar to mine, but I couldn't find a definitive answer/solution
to the problem.  If this has already been answered, kindly refer me to the
appropriate thread.

I installed the latest version of Cygwin in "DOS mode" (so \n =
CR/LF).  The distribution includes Perl v. 5.6.1.  The problem is that Perl
gets really confused when dealing with text with CR/LF linebreaks.  The
only thing that it does right is print \n as CR\LF, but just about
everything else it does wrong.  For instance, if I read a text file, then
print it *unchanged*, I find an extra CR character inserted at each
linebreak.  Pattern matching is all messed up as well.  I am not sure if
this is a problem with Perl or with bash or something else.  Any ideas?

Dmitry Epstein
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA
mitia@northwestern.edu