Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >
> > The FHS would have these installed in a /opt/package-version directory
> > with symlinks in /usr/local/bin and etc..  I would suggest that we could
> > go with this for the contrib directory.  However, my preference for this
> > is /opt/package/version where version is a subdirectory of package, it's
> > more esthetically appealing to my eyes.
>
> Arrghh.  This is pedantic, IMO.  Let me ask this question: Debian has a
> large number of packages, all supported by different maintainers.  Does
> apt-get install *all* of these packages into some inane heirarchy under
> /opt/ and then build symlink farms from /usr/local/?  If some packages
> go into /usr, which?  How is that decision made?  Who are the
> "annointed" Debian developers whose packages go into /usr?
>
> I admit some self-interest in my disagreement with this /opt/package
> thing.  I am not really interested in rebuilding, repackaging,
> retesting, re-releasing-for-test, re-wait-for-comments,
> re-announce-as-updated, and
> RE-get-bug-reports-that-should-have-come-three-steps-earlier, for "my"
> dozen-or-so packages for NO real gain.  Nothing is broken, except a
> desire to conform to a standard developed for needs other than those of
> cygwin.  No thanks.

Well, the discussion is a discussion of standards for Cygwin.  Since the
discussion involved changes to the current Cygwin norm I mentioned the
FHS because it is already a well thought out and well thought of
standard.  If that enrages you, sorry, however no one has yet asked
anyone to change anything.

Now, should a decision be made to configure the packages in contrib to
be installed in /usr/local or /opt/package-version then I would expect
that any maintainer contributing packages to alter the package only when
need arises and not on a full scale overhaul.

Earnie.