Re: file descriptors opened as text files

At 05:27 PM 2/14/01, Jean Delvare wrote:

>> I doubt that Larry is pretending.  Mount does, of course, control the
>> behavior of any cygwin-compiled program.
>Thats a thing I just can't understand.
>I compile the program. Once compiled, it is supposed to work out of the
>Cygwin system. Anyone can take it together with the dll and run it on a

                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the key phrase.  cygwin1.dll is always required.  If you use it,
it handles your program's interaction with the Windows' system.  Regardless
of whether there is an explicit mount point or not, Cygwin controls the
behavior.  For files, the default treatment is always text, unless a mount
or the program itself indicates otherwise.

>plate-form where cygwin has never been installed, right ?
>Then, there's no mount or anything like that. It's just the way Windows
>(and/or the dll) handles the thing !

No, Cygwin is still there.

>Definitely, there must be something in the whole process I don't
>understand correctly. Does mount change something in Windows' registry
>that any cygwin program can read and then change it's own behavior ?

Yes, mount manipulates the registry.  But if it has never been run, Cygwin
still adopts the default behavior of opening files as text unless the code
says otherwise.

You should check out the user's guide at www.cygwin.com.  It may help
orient you a bit in this regard.