CPAN: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Greetings:

I'm running cygwin setup-version: 2.29 and using cygwin's Perl build.

I can install Perl modules with no problem if I download them and then do:
$ tar zxvf module
$ cd module
$ perl Makefile.PL
$ make
$ make test
$ make install

So I guess I should be happy...
However, I'd like to do this using CPAN. When I try, all goes well until after:

CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GB/GBARR/MailTools-1.15.tar.gz

Then I get:
Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Running make test
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

This happens with all modules. But if I go to the ~/.cpan/build directory and install from there, all goes well.

Any ideas?

--
All the best (Adéu-siau),
Lou Hevly