Re: Problem w/ cygwin tar.exe: Unable to tar directories beginnin g w/ the letter 'R' in NT 4.0

At 03:22 PM 2/6/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 03:12:13PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> >>What does cygwin's echo do with this?  I'm not close to a Windows machine right now.
> >>
> >>If you type:
> >>
> >>c:\>c:\cygwin\bin\echo d:\tmp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp
> >>
> >>what is output?
> >>
> >>It's possible that cygwin's globbing is not correctly interpreting d:\ as a
> >>path spec.  It tries to be clever about doing the right thing with dos filespecs
> >>but it could still be broken.
> >

> >D:\tmp>d:\usr\bin\echo d:\tmp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp
> >d:      mp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp
> >
> >OK, you got me.  It looks like this is a Cygwin issue.  Interesting that
> >things like cat and ls don't have a problem here...
>
>Oops.  No, I didn't get you.  You're seeing an echo feature.  It looks like
>cygwin is probably doing the right thing.  echo is translating \t to a tab.
>I don't believe that cygwin would do this.
>
>The easiest way to check is to write a simple c program which displays its
>arguments.  This will bypass any echo trickery.

Right.  Looks like its not globbing trickery.  A small program prints out
the arguments exactly as they're typed.  However, the same trickery
that echo uses appears to be what's affecting tar.  So far I've noticed
"bad" behavior in both with \t, \r, and \n.  In echo, this is a "feature"
I'm sure but in tar, I'd say its a bug.  I'm back to thinking the issue is
with tar...