Re: why am I administrator?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:45:00PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> > > This seems to come up allot.  Maybe we need an FAQ for this?
> >A FAQ would be great.  Obviously there are major
> >passwd differences between cygwin and unix.

???

> Actually, this surprises me.  I would've thought you would have wanted to
> change the name of the user in the /etc/passwd file that matched the output
> of "id -u".  This is what I have.  Of course, I made my /etc/passwd with
> mkpasswd which makes understanding what needs to be change moot AFAICS.
> >Also what are the strings that look like
> >S-1-5-21-839522115-1060284298-1708537768-500
> That's the Windows ID.  See the mail archives and the user documentation
> on NTFS permissions for more info.

Folks, it sobers me a bit that you make things that complicated.

What is the problem? If you have no entry for your user in /etc/passwd
you will run into severel problems, beginning with the output of `id'.

Create a correct /etc/passwd entry, that's it. `mkpasswd' will be
your friend. And read the documentation. That helps a lot and avoids
having _everything_ twice, in the documentation and in the FAQ.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.