Re: strange phenomena

--- Wise Man <silly_2k@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I installed "cygwin" under "c:\cygnus" (due to
> historical reasons).
> When I "ls /cygdrive/c/cygnus/usr/lib" I see some
> files, but on "ls /usr/lib" I see different files. How
> can it be?

This isn't strange.  Cygwin uses /usr/bin and /usr/lib as mount points.  Those
points must be physical directories on the disk.  These directories are usually
but don't have to be empty.  When the mount points are mounted they point to
the physical drive and directory and thus when you `ls /usr/lib' you see the
list of files in c:/cygnus/lib.  Now since you had a directory
c:/cygnus/usr/lib with files already in it the mount points hide the files in
that directory.

You can safely re[move|name] /cygdrive/c/cygnus/usr/bin and
/cygdrive/c/cygnus/usr/lib but be sure to create empty directories of the same
name.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd