Re: new tape problems

Bernd Rosauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I installed Cygwin B20.1 on a Windows 98 machine connected to a SCSI box

This has nothing to do with your question but why don't you install
the current version of Cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com?

> [...]
> But "mt -f /dev/rst1 offline" complains:
>
> TapePrepare: 1: Unzulässige Funktion  (German for "invalid function")
> mt: Error setting tape offline
>
> And "tar -tf /dev/rst1" complains after some sort of timeout:
>
> tar: Cannot open /dev/rst1: No such file or directory
> tar: Error is recoverable: exiting now
> [...]
> What is wrong with my setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There's nothing wrong with your setup. The problem is that 9X doesn't
support the Win32 tape backup API which is used by Cygwin to access
the tape devices. AFAIK, tapes under 9x are only accessible via direct
calls to the driver. I would gladly appreciate if somebody provides a
general solution for 9x to incorporate into the fhandler_dev_tape class.
Up to then, you can't access tapes with Cygwin under 9x.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@redhat.com