Re: cp uses NT5 permissions on NT4

Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
> with notepad I get "Access Denied".  Looking at the Security/Permissions
> tab for one of the new files I get an error like this:
>
>   The security information for D:\release\CE-status.txt is not standard
>   and cannot be displayed. Windows NT 3.x and 4.x support certain features
>   such as Deny Access Control Entries but cannot edit security information
>   which uses these features. The information may have been modified by a
>   computer running Windows NT 5.0, which supports these features and can
>   edit information which uses them.

This has nothing to do with NT5. It's dependent of the way `ntsec'
uses the ACLs. NT4 does correctly interpret the stored ACL information.
Only the GUI interface (the security tab) isn't able to deal with the
permissions set in some cases.

Please have a look into the online documentation (which is always
appropriate) at

http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

especially the following subchapter:

http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-MAPPING