"hello world" does not compile

Hello,

I am new to gcc. I wrote my first program:

/* File: hello_world.c */

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
   printf("Hello world!\n");
}

This program is saved in a file: test.c, which is
located in C:\cygwin\bin directory.
But whenever I am trying to compile it with this line:
c:\cygwin\bin>gcc test.c -o test.exe
I am getting this error:

GCC: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such
file or directory

Moreover, I am getting the same error, if I will try
to compile the above program with this line too:
c:\cygwin\bin>gcc test.c

The error message does not give me any chance to
figure out what is wrong. Where this 'as' came from?
It is nowhere in my program. Please help me ;-)

Max