using non-versioned tar.gz file with new setup.exe

i remember this issue came up a while ago... I'm using the version of setup
downloaded this afternoon.

Say i have a tar file (ash.tar.gz) that i want to use in place of the
version downloaded via setup downloading from the internet.  If i put my
version into latest/ash/ within the source directory created by the download
and then re-run setup (this time choosing to Install From Local Directory),
setup is still only offering the 20001012 version of ash, not the version i
put in.  I tried putting a version number into my tar file (i.e. making it
ash-20001109.tar.gz) but it still isn't apparently noticed by setup.  Is
there a supported way to do this?  I'm pretty sure that editing setup.ini to
try to indicate there's a different version present is not the way to go.
:)

Thanks much!
John