Group ID `544' as owner of files

All,

I had to answer questions about the mysterious owner `544' often
in the past. For clearness: 544 is the RID (which is in NT/W2K
like a UID/GID in U*X) of the administrators group. Since files
created by members of the administrators group are owned by the
admins group and not by the creator under NT/W2K you will often
see that the admins group is the owner of files.

From the next Cygwin version on, the `mkpasswd' tool will create an
entry for the admins group in /etc/passwd by default. I hope that
will help. You will then see the name of the admins group in `ls -l'
output instead of the number 544 and you don't have to add an entry
for that group by yourself.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.