Job Control Problem on NT 4.0

I have a Microsoft nmake makefile that contains a for loop that runs
child makefiles recursively.  The makefile looks something like this:

--- begin ---
MAKE = nmake -nologo -f makefile.nt

build:
 for %i in (foo bar juice beef) do $(MAKE) make_dir DIR=%i

make_dir :
 cd $(DIR)
 $(MAKE) $(TARGET)
 cd ..
--- end ---

Since upgrading from Cygwin b20 I have been having trouble with this
makefile on NT 4.0sp4.  Everything is fine unless I try to abort the
build via Control-C.  When I hit Control-C, only the current
(foreground) make process is aborted.  The background loop continues
kicking off make processes.  However, subsequent Control-C's are
ineffective at aborting the make processes.  I have to resort to Task
Manager to abort them.  It appears that the parent background make with
the loop does not reaquire the terminal after I abort the child
foreground make and therefore does not recieve the Control-C's.

Is there some way I can work around this problem?

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Mike Bresnahan