No echo in bash window

I installed the latest version of cygwin (1.1.4) on Windows NT 4.0. When I
open the bash window, commands run fine. However, once I use commands like
vi, less, man and return to the bash window, I cannot see the
characteristics I typed any more. The command can still run and output to
the bash window, but I can never see the commands unless I exit bash and
reenter again.

Would you please help me to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.

Wayne