inetd instructions?

I have downloaded and installed inetutils-1.3.2-7
on to cygwin 1.1.4

I have installed the inetd service and I can
successfully start and stop the service.
However I can not connect using telnet.

$telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...

Are there instructions available on the net for setting
up and configuring inetd?

Also do you know of any replacement for the console window
that allows cutting and pasting using the Ctrl-Insert and
Control-Shift, or Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V ?

Many Thanks

Sam