RE: bugs in zip and bash

Hi,

I'm fully with Chris on this one. Cluttering the subject line is, well,
abhorrent. Those that point to existing lists where this is done should
already know why it's bad. For one thing, different mailers put their "Re:
" in different places w.r.t. a [listNameTag], resulting in a divergence of
subjects and the loss of the ability to thread messages by topic. The
amount of subject line visible in the mailbox / summary windows is reduced.
If you sort mail into different mailboxes, such tags becomes virtually 100%
redundant (and hence carry no information at all--they just take up space).

Outlook is not the only mail agent for Windows. Personally, I'm very fond
of Eudora. It's filtering is capable of manipulating more than just the
folder into which filtered mail is placed. It can change the priority, the
color, etc. It will optionally generate a report about what actions were
triggered by filters and can open the folders that received new mail.

I've never had the slightest trouble keeping track of my mail from a large
number of high-volume lists using Eudora's filters, but I could hardly deal
with being on all the lists I'm on without that ability.

Let's keep this horrendous practice (as well as the other abhorrent
practice of inserting Reply-To: headers) out of the Cygwin list.

Randall Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA