Re: cooperation of cygwin and NuTCracker ??

--- Frank Moehle <Frank.Moehle@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >> --- Frank Moehle <Frank.Moehle@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE> wrote:
> >> Using "objdump -p" on the external DLL, i get a huge number of lines,
> >> starting with the one quoted below (second dump).
> >> What i understand is that the DLL needs a lot of "standard"
> >> function like printf, malloc, etc from another DLL called "nutlibc4.dll".
> >> Does this interfere with the function from cygwin1.dll, which our program
> is
> >> compiled against ??
> >>
> >> btw, we are using cygwin 1.1.4
> >>

> > Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >It ain't likely to work.  Mixing two C runtimes is bad news.  Can you use
> >anaport without the nut*.dll?  It looks as if the functions needed C
> functions
> >may be supported by Cygwin.
>
> Well, that's really bad news.
> I don't think i can use anaport.dll without the nut* stuff,
> at least i do not know how to tell NT to skip the reference
> to the nutlibc4.dll and use cygwin1.dll instead.
>
> Is there a chance to get our program to worl with that DLL
> when i use the -mno-cygwin option (giving up posix support,
> but i still have a gcc and all the unix tools to build the program with),
> or would it be better to take the whole pain an use MSVC ??

The -mno-cygwin uses crtdll and not msvcrt but that might not matter.  You
could try it.  If that doesn't work for you try http://www.mingw.org and if
that doesn't work try http://pw32.sourceforge.net.

I just had a thought, since Nutcracker is a runtime it must come with headers
for that runtime.  Be sure you're using those headers and not the Cygwin
headers, you might want to use the -nostdinc switch in combination with the -I
switch.  Then when linking instead of using the gcc frontend use ld directly so
that you can specify yourself which runtime to use.  You can see what libraries
are added automagically by doing `gcc -v -o foo foo.c'.  You'll want to use all
but -lcygwin.

HTH,

Cheers,

=====