Re: changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 01:03:01AM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
>> These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
>>
>> Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .
>
>I understand that snapshots are not supported and are generally not
>encouraged for anyone but Cygwin developers, but at times like this
>(before a new release) it's good to get as many snapshot users as
>possible.  With that in mind, what's the recommended technique for
>installing a cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2 snapshot?
>
>It's simple to drop in a snapshot of just cygwin1.dll, without any
>Cygwin applications running.  But how do you do that with
>cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2?  Can Cygwin tar replace cygwin1.dll
>without conflict?  We know WinZip doesn't work!

The only way that I know of to do this is to extract in one place and
copy everything to a new location using Windows commands.

DJ has suggested that I could make a cygwin-1.1.5 available as an
experimental download so that setup.exe could download it.  I will
probably do that once I'm sure that things are slightly more stable.

I'm still completely unable to duplicate the 100% CPU problem or the
bash exiting problem, so this will be slow going.

cgf