RE: compiling python under cygwin

Chris Faylor writes:

>On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 08:51:00PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>>On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 11:42:16AM -0400, Robinow, David wrote:
>>>    The following was added as netinet/tcp.h on 9/5/2000:
>>>
>>>    #ifndef _NETINET_TCP_H
>>>    #define _NETINET_TCP_H
>>>
>>>    #include <winsock.h>
>>>
>>>    #endif
>>
>>Unfortunately after further investigation, I have to report that the
>>above change to Cygwin causes Python 2.0b2's Modules/socketmodule.c to
>>fail compilation.
>>
>>BTW, this change also causes problems with PostgreSQL 7.0.2's
>>src/backend/libpq/pqcomm.c and src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c too.
>>
>>I guess I prefer that Cygwin has an empty netinet/tcp.h.  Is there any
>>chance of that happening?
>
>How about a few more details other than "fail compilation" before any
>decisions are made?

It is my understanding that the 'reason' for Cygwin is so one can
write Posix code that will run on a Windows platform.  By including
<winsock.h> any code written to use the Posix headers
 <netdb.h>  <sys/socket.h>  <netinet/in.h>
will have numerous namespace collisions.

Perhaps it would be advantageous performance wise to use
the native Windows sockets rather then the Cygwin Posix sockets
but that IMHO rather defeats the purpose of Cygwin

Cheers

Norman Vine

err.log.gz