Re: Bash Prompt Here

Hello Evan,

This seems a little simpler to me:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere\command]
   d:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i

No extra files or indirection needed

EM> Hi,

EM> I've come up with a way to right-click on a directory in Windows Explorer
EM> and have a menu option called "Bash Prompt Here" that will open a bash
EM> prompt with the selected directory as the current one.  It's a bit kludgy,
EM> but I thought I'd submit it for any who may find it useful.  Works under
EM> Win98 and WinME.  Be interested to know how it goes on NT variants.

EM> This is using cygwin 1.x and assumes that your cygwin installation is in
EM> "c:\cygwin" which is mounted as your root directory.  Change to suite your
EM> own environment.

EM> Create a file "c:\cygwin\start_at.bat" with the following three lines:

EM>         @echo off
EM>         echo cd %1 > c:\cygwin\start_dir.txt
EM>         c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

EM> Add the following four lines to the end of "/etc/profile" (or
EM> "c:\cygwin\etc\profile"):

EM>         if [ -f /start_dir.txt ] ; then
EM>           . /start_dir.txt
EM>           rm /start_dir.txt
EM>         fi

EM> Lastly, apply the following registry patch file (which I name
EM> "bash_prompt_here.reg"):
EM> ----------snip----------
EM> REGEDIT4

EM> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere]
EM> @="&Bash Prompt Here"

EM> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere\command]
EM> @="C:\\WINDOWS\\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /c C:\\cygwin\\start_at.bat \"%L\""

Andy Philpotts
Senior Software Developer
CalendarCentral Inc.
[w] 919/654-6200  xt.155
[c] 919/656-1166
[e] andy.philpotts@calendarcentral.com
[www] www.calendarcentral.com

Andy says: I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.