Re: SSHD: works from command line, but not from INETD

Richard Stanton wrote:

> I can connect to my machine (Win2k) using ssh if I run sshd at the command
> line. However, when I follow the instructions to run sshd from inetd, here's
> what happens when I try to connect using ssh:
>
> c:\>ssh localhost
>
> For more information, I tried:
>
> c:\>ssh -v localhost
> SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
> Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
> debug: Seeding random number generator
> debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 1000 anon 0
> debug: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
> debug: Seeding random number generator
> debug: Allocated local port 602.
> debug: Connection established.
> debug: Calling cleanup 0x413444(0x0)
>
> This looks rather different from the trace when I am running sshd at the
> command line:
>
> c:\4nt>ssh -v localhost
> SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
> Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
> debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
> debug: Applying options for *
> debug: Seeding random number generator
> debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 1000 anon 0
> debug: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
> debug: Seeding random number generator
> debug: Allocated local port 733.
> debug: Connection established.
> debug: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
> debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
> debug: Waiting for server public key.
> debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
> debug: Forcing accepting of host key for loopback/localhost.
> debug: Seeding random number generator
> debug: Encryption type: 3des
> debug: Sent encrypted session key.
> debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
> debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
> debug: Doing password authentication.
> stanton@localhost's password:
>
> In particular, the first trace didn't mention reading the configuration
> file.
>
> What am I missing?

Hmm, don't know. Just checked that here. No problem to start sshd via
inetd in a 1.1.4 system. Did you insert the sshd line in your services
file:

	sshd	22/tcp

and did you insert the correct path to sshd in inetd.conf? Your entry
should look like:

sshd   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/sshd sshd -i

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com