Can't navigate dir structure properly

My ISP is barred from sending email to the cygwin discussion list
because it is an open relay.  Further the help desk tells me that
RoadRunner has no intention of closing the open relay.

Would Hotmail.com work?

I am running the latest and greatest release of cygwin as downloaded
and installed by setup.exe from the internet.

There seems to be a bug in the directory navigation functions of the
cygwin.dll or maybe BASH.

I am running cygwin.dll in Windows 98SE patched to the hilt.
RAM=64meg   Disk space = lots and lots of free space.
Pentium 200MMX

This installation has been working well for quite a while.  Recently I
added pdcurses to root/usr/include/pdcurses/curses.h  and to
root/usr/lib/pdcurses/pdcurses.a.
I made these additions using a WindoZ program called WinZip by Nico Mak

When I tried to compile and link I found a few puzzles that may indicate
a bug somewhere.  Maybe in my head :-)

Here is one way that the bug manifests itself.

BASH.EXE-2.04$ cd /f/cygwin/usr/lib/pdcurses
BASH.EXE-2.04$ ls
ls: .: No such file or directory
BASH.EXE-2.04$ pwd
/f/cygwin/usr/lib/pdcurses

DOS's CD command thinks that this dir does exist.
as  f:\cygwin\usr\lib\pdcurses
I proved it by cut and paste to DOS's cd command.

Here's my mount table
BASH.EXE-2.04$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
f:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         binmode
f:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         binmode
f:\cygwin\tmp       /tmp                user         textmode
f:\cygwin           /                   user         binmode

f:\proj             /proj               user         textmode
c:                  /c                  user         textmode
d:                  /d                  user         textmode
e:                  /e                  user         textmode
f:                  /f                  user         textmode
g:                  /g                  user         textmode

The stuff above the blank line was invented by cygwin, not by me.

Why is  f:\cygwin\bin mounted as /usr/bin instead of /bin?

Why is  f:\cygwin\lib mounted as /usr/lib instead of /lib?
It seems that f:\cygwin\usr\lib should be mounted there instead.

Here is another piece of the puzzle, well several pieces actually

GO to the root directory and show what's there

BASH.EXE-2.04$ cd /
BASH.EXE-2.04$ pwd
/
BASH.EXE-2.04$ ls
READMEopengl-1.2.1-1.txt  cygwindir.dir             setup.log.full
bin                       etc                       tmp
bison-infonfo.tar.gz      latest                    uninst.bat
contrib                   lib                       usr
cygwin.bat                setup.exe                 var
cygwin.ico                setup.log
BASH.EXE-2.04$

Go to the usr subdirectory   root/usr

BASH.EXE-2.04$ cd usr
BASH.EXE-2.04$ pwd
/usr
BASH.EXE-2.04$ ls
bin      include  lib      local    sbin     tmp
doc      info     libexec  man      share

Every thing is correct so far.  But look what happens when I try to
step down one more level to     root/usr/lib

BASH.EXE-2.04$ cd lib
BASH.EXE-2.04$ ls | less
CRT_noglob.o
binmode.o
crt0.o
crt1.o
crtmt.o
crtst.o
cvs
dllcrt1.o
gcc-lib
gcrt0.o
ldscripts
libadvapi32.a

This is the wrong lib subdirectory.  This lib is root/lib
I wanted to get to root/usr/lib

The linker gets lost as well.  Here are a few lines from my last
effort at linking.

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/f/cygwin/usr/lib/pdcurses/pdcurses.a
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [deal] Error 1

--
TIA & Cheers
Tom Hutto thutto@houston.rr.com  Houston TX USA

Tom Hutto  huttothomas@hotmail.com  Houston TX USA
"If you can't measure it, you can't control it" - Lord Kelvin