Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: ash-20000823

Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:

> > I've updated the version of ash in cygwin/latest to 20000823.
>
> The `conf.sh' script in rcs-5.7 can't work properly with
> ash-20000627 or later.
>
> This script requires /bin/sh to execute files named a.out
> generated by `gcc -o a.out ...'.  These files has no execute
> permission on the Cygwin environment without ntsec and ntea.
> The above ash can't execute such files differently from older
> versions.
>
> IMHO, sh should execute any files regardless of their permission
> and put the results into the hands of the kernel (Cygwin DLL)
> from the point of view of emulating UNIX.

The new behaviour is due to a change made to get ash behave correctly
on `type' command. As a result it now checks if the file is executable
when the command is given with path. I had tested that in `bash'. It
reports non executable files on `type' if no path is given while it
reports an error if a path is given. Example:

~> type nonexec
nonexec is /home/corinna/bin/nonexec
~> type bin/nonexec
bash: type: bin/nonexec: not found

So the current implementation is on one hand compatible to bash
behaviour, on the other hand it blocks executing files without exec
bit set.

I could eliminate that check for exec bit if there's an agreement
to do so.

However, I'm on vacation for another two weeks so don't rely on
fast reply :-)

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.