"Insufficient Memory" for PVCS v6.5 under sh/bash?

Hello, :)

I am trying to use Cygwin's (1.1.4) bash (2.04) as a replacement shell
for 4DOS, which I used for years -- started out with 4OS/2, actually.
Unfortunately, I am unable to use 'put.exe' from PVCS v6.5 under bash
or sh.  I am running Win95b.  The error message I receive is this:

$ put update.err
PVCS Version Manager (put) v6.5.00 (Build 536) for Windows NT/80x86
Copyright 1985-1999 INTERSOLV, Inc.  All rights reserved.
New archive Q:\DEVTOOLS\SCOUT\MODETEST\VCS\CODE\update.erv
Enter description of workfile.  Then type ctrl-D (or ctrl-Z).
> put: error, Insufficient memory to continue processing.

At which point the program exits with a status ($?) of 1.  The app only
seems
to die when it requests the initial archive information or the revision
change
info - essentially, when it requests a string terminated by \C-D or \C-Z.  I
say
this because if I do a put in "non-interactive" mode (using the -Tinfo or
-Minfo
to supply the text directly on the command-line), the operation proceeds as
expected.

Thanks for any help with this - I appreciate it!

---Jason Tiller
St. Jude Medical, Defibrillator Tools Development
jtiller@sjm.com