Re: Moving to Usenet?

At 10:56 AM 7/6/2000, Chris Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 04:23:36PM +0200, Jonas Jensen wrote:
> >Wouldn't it be an idea to move this mailing list to Usenet, rather than flooding
> >everyone's e-mail address with 100+ mails every day? I think it would give some
> >advantages:
> >
> >* Less traffic on people's inboxes.
> >* Possibility of posting binaries/large code samples. If people don't want 'em,
> >they don't have to download them.
> >* Eaisier to keep an overview of threads, rather than all mails arriving in a big
> >mess.
> >
> >I'm sure you've considered this before, why did you decide against this?
>
>sources.redhat.com does not have the software, the capacity, or the
>manpower to operate a news server.
>
>However, if you think that this is a good idea, please do look into
>setting up something like an alt.os.cygwin newsgroup.  I'll certainly
>subscribe to this newsgroup if my ISP carries it.
>
>Otherwise, you should probably look into using a more sophisticated mail
>reader which can handle threads.  I use a combination of procmail and mutt
>to break up my email into folders and organize it by threads.  I believe that
>there are ports of both programs available for cygwin.
>
>cgf

As I recall, the last time this subject came up, which was more than a year
ago at least, no one really objected to the idea of a newsgroup for this
list so long as the mail list remained as well.  As far as I know, the
reason no newsgroup exists today is that no one was interested enough in
setting it up to make one.

My apologies in advance if I've provided an inaccurate synopsis on this
parties looking for the specifics on this ancient thread can wade through
the archives to find the details of the discussion!:-)