Re: What is the difference between Cygwin 1.1.0 and B20.1?

--- Joey Yue <joeyfish@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to cygwin and confuse about both version Cygwin 1.1.0 and B20.1 as
> well as some questions.

Cygwin 1.1.2 is the current official release.  Cygwin B20.1 is old and not
supported anylonger.

> Actually, I have already install from setup.exe but lots of tutorial about
> installing cygwin teach about install from full.exe(B20.1). I installed
> full.exe but those bins are old and have to creat unix directory tree too.
> Well, full.exe has cygwin icon on desktop.

Any webpages suggesting B20.1 is old and out of date.  The FAQ may still
contain specifics to B20.1 and is currently being updated.

> It seems like setup.exe has the latest stuff so why people still recommend
> install cygwin full.exe? Advantage and disadvantage for both.

You should send a note to anyone who is suggesting full.exe that there pages
are outdated and have confused you.  The advantages to release 1.1.2 are that
it is currently being maintained, it has a more standard directory structure,
each utility package has been separated from the Cygwin runtime so that more
timely releases of Cygwin specific changes can be supported for the package,
etc.  Side benefits of the separation of packages are each package can be
assigned a maintainer, there is a serarate mailing list to discuss Cygwin
developer specifics of a package and new packages can be added for export from
the Cygwin mirrors.

Cheers,

> Also, what will be recommend to update and install after cygwin?
> I have already install VIM as editor. What kind of software you guys
> recommend in order to make cygwin more powerful to use and make coding and
> compile easier.
>
> Kind of long and haver several questions. If anyone can show me the road map
> and I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__