Re: mount's --change-cygdrive-prefix option

--- Jason Tishler <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> wrote:
> I few spec level issues before I continue...
>
> There is currently no way to remove the user or system path prefix
> (except via the registry).  Hence, once the user path prefix is set,
> the system path prefix can never have any effect (unless one hacks the
> registry).  How should this missing functionality be realized?
>
> 1. Add a "--remove-cygdrive-prefix" to mount.

No.

> 2. Add a "--remove-cygdrive-prefix" to umount.

Yes.

> 3. Enhance mount's "--change-cygdrive-prefix" to accept a missing
>    posixpath that indicates the appropriate path prefix should be
>    removed.

Maybe.

> Additionally, there is currently no way to display the current value
> for the user and system path prefixes (except via the registry).
> Should this functionality be added to the mount display?

Definitely.

Now, to add my own wishes and reiterate a change I had suggested when cygdrive
came into being. Since cygdrive == unmounted and since the value of the prefix
can be modified by the user I would like to see the name of the switches
modified to reflect what it really means.  I.E.: Change
--change-cygdrive-prefix to --change-unmounted-prefix or something similar.
That would make your remove switches above similar to
--remove-unmounted-prefix.

Chris, what happens to active Cygwin processes if the prefix is removed from
the registry?

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>