RE: inetutils questions

Title: RE: inetutils questions

> Just as a wild guess, and given the fact that this seems to
> be the answer
> to every other problem reported on this mailing list -- EMACS
> is probably
> adding a ^M (or \r) before the end of the lines in
> /etc/passwd.  mkpasswd
> is probably not doing this.

Emacs on windows (not cygwin version) will open unix files in unix mode and dos files in dos mode.  If it is a new file I think it defaults to dos mode.  If you want to force a particular mode for your next command, use:

C-x <RET> c emacs-mule-unix

or emacs-mule-dos
or emacs-mule-mac

Then open the file.  A '\' in the status bar is dos mode, and (Unix) is unix mode of course.

Brian