Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...

At 12:18 PM 5/2/00, Charles Hixson wrote:
>It seems to me that what is being requested would be accomplished by having
>a branch of the tree that was GPL'd, but within which the authors retained
>the copyright rather than assigning it to CygWin.  There may be significant
>problems with this or not, I wouldn't know.  But this is what I hear being
>requested.

Under the GPL, anyone is free to do this.  I don't see why Cygnus/Red Hat
would really want to maintain the ensuing mess though.

I agree with your assessment of what the request is.  I'm not sure the ones
making the request really understand why they are making that request, beyond
the possibility that "their gut tells them so".

Apologies to all whom I've misrepresented or offended with my statements...

                                        (508) 560-1285 - cell phone