RE: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode det ermined ...

Title: RE: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...

> >  Selling *no* licenses would remove three developers from the
> > Cygwin project.
>
> I'm sure those three developers would hack on Cygwin
> because they like hacking on Cygwin, not necessarily
> because they're paid to do so. So again, I don't think
> what you're saying is true.

What you don't seem to get is that 3 full time developers are worth considerably more to cygwin than 3 people who like to hack on cygwin in their "spare" time.

> I could the motives of those developers, of course, but
> I don't think I do. People work on free software projects
> because it's fun.

I work on GNU Classpath (and now libgcj) because I think a free implementation of the Java class libraries is needed and I also enjoy it.  I don't get to work on it as much as I'd like to because I make my living working for a large company less than 10 miles from RedHat instead, and that leaves little time for the fun, passionate work I sometimes prefer.

Feel fortunate that any cygwin developer even responded to your less than thoughtful diatribe.  RMS advocates that although it would be nice for free software developers to spend some time answering questions about the software... often it would better for those developers to spend that time hacking instead.  So get over it.  I'd prefer the folks at cygwin responded to real questions about real problems and focused less on useless, time-wasting bickering.

> But anyway, I will not argue this any longer.

Good, you obviously don't know what you're talking about anyway.

Brian