Re: Building cygwin on Win98 system

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 06:31:18PM -0500, Tadeusz Liszka wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 10:24:52AM -0700, Mindy Beseler wrote:
>> >I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I have tried this at
>> >least a 10 times and get the same results each time!!
>>
>> Unfortunately, what you're doing wrong is building on Windows 98.
>>
>> The latest cygwin snapshot may work better but there are never any
>> guarantees with Windows 9x.
>
>I have missed this disclaimer in the documentation :-) Is there any document
>listing known problems / limitations with Win98 besides three sentences in the
>installation manual ?

No.

>I got rid of ash and tcsh, (esp.  inside make sh was replaced with
>bash,) but it still occasionally crashes, and when it does it is 'fun'
>to watch.  In any case the behavior was consistent with memory problems
>i.e.  overstepping of some fixed size buffers.

The version of ash in the new release has been updated and a lot of the
buffer overruns have been fixed.  I'd like to say that they were all fixed
but I suspect that that can never be a true statement.

If you can reliably reproduce a crash, then I have two requests 1) Please
attempt to fix the problem, and 2) Please explain to me how Windows NT
manages to avoid the problem.

cgf