RE: can't install new net release

Hello,

I have experienced exactly the same problem while installing the net release
on a NT 4 SP 5.  Investigating the problem using WinZip to un-tar
cygwin-20000301.tar, I found that the MCSHIELD.EXE executable hangs (100% of
CPU) just after the mingwc10.dll is extracted from the archive.
MCSHIELD is an executable of the VirusScan NT program.  Version 4.0.3a is
installed on my PC.  There is probably a bug in this anti-virus software.

To work around the problem, I extracted all files from the
cygwin-20000301.tar archive, *except mingwc10.dll*.  To do this, you can use
the following command from the cygwin root directory:
  tar xvf cygwin-20000301.tar --exclude mingwc10.dll
of use WinZip,
BUT
beware that /bin will be mounted on /usr/bin, so /usr/bin should be empty
after installation (it is when setup.exe succeeds) ! If you extract the
files in the cygwin-20000301.tar archive using a program running under
Windows, then some of them will be extracted to <Windows path of cygwin
root>\usr\bin.  Just move them into <Windows path of cygwin root>\bin.

One last point: the attached file is mingcw10.dll renamed into
mingwc10.dll.bak.  Copy this file into <Windows path of cygwin root>\bin and
then rename it (remove the .bak extension).  Your system should hang, but
after a restart it will be OK, since the anti-virus program runs *after*
copying the file into the directory.

I hope this will be helpful.

	_Olivier_

 <<mingwc10.dll.bak>>