Installing Snapshot Technique (WAS: Re: Resizeable xterms/rxvts)

--- Keith Starsmeare <kxs@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the patch; I have applied it to my sources, now all I have to do
> is get my gcc working again as I seem to have broken it; probably when I
> installed a newer snapshot! :(

Time for some techniques on trying new snapshots.

Snapshots are a work in process.  The builds are not tested to the point of
being an official release and are supplied as a convenience to developers.
But, if you wish to try a snapshot then you need to provide a means of
fallback.  If you don't, you'll get burned.

Here's what I do.

cp -rf d:/Cygwin d:/CygwinSnapshot

[edit] d:/Cygwin/Start.bat
   mount -f -b d:/Cygwin /
   bash

[edit] d:/CygwinSnapshot/Start.bat
   mount -f -b d:/CygwinSnapshot /
   bash

[shortcut] d:/Cygwin/Start.bat
[shortcut] d:/CygwinSnapshot/Start.bat

[install] snapshot into d:/CygwinSpanshot
[test] using the shortcut to d:/CygwinSnapshot/Start.bat

[Works?]
   [no] Try to debug what's wrong and report
   [yes] backup d:/Cygwin then install snapshot into d:/Cygwin

NOTE: You can't use both shortcuts at the same time.  It's either one or the
other and not both.  You'll have to have a testing environment on a separate
machine for that.

Enjoy,

=====
---