sendmail [Re: Setting os to Posix]

Andreas =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bergstr=F8m?= <abergstr@halden.net> writes:
> I have been trying to compile Sendmail on my win95 box. (I need a decent
> mailserver on a NT-server at school.) The problem is that it does not
> recognize Cygwin as Unix/Linux, I believe the solution is to make Make think
> it is compiling on a machine running Posix, but I have been unable to figure
> out how. I have searced the mail archives, but all it turned up is every post
> Ernie Boyd has posted to this list.

Sendmail needs "ports" before it'll work cleanly on a new machine/OS,
and has precious little to do with POSIX or otherwise. It's just much
easier to create these OS-specific port files for POSIX systems.

I have patches for sendmail-8.9.3 that seems to work ok on Cygwin v1.0
and Cygwin b20.1 (I don't remember which snapshot I was running when
testing sendmail running as a daemon). These changes borrow some work
from Sergey Okhapkin's previous efforts, and adds some new stuff.
However, there are security issues that I have not paid *that* much
attention to it, and various other oddities that I'd since forgotten
about. I do remember that it causes problems on Win9x when running as
a daemon, but NT should be fine. On either Win9x or NT, it's a fine
tool for MUA's such as mail, pine, etc.

I'll clean up the patches and upload next week. You'll also need to
build bind, and I'll upload the changes against bind-8.2.2-p5 that
should apply cleanly against newer versions as well.

No guarantees, and I doubt if I'll have the time answer questions
regarding the various changes.

Regards,
Mumit

ps: It's helpful if you would use a more representative subject line,
such as one that includes "sendmail".