Re: Perl ported to Cygwin bug report (-w)

On 17 Feb 00, an entity purporting to be Charles S. Wilson [Charles S.
Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>] wrote [regarding Re: Perl ported to
Cygwin bug report (-w)]

> Soren,
>   I don't know if this will fix your problem, but you need to update to
>   NT4 sp6a.
> Service Pack 6 broke any number of programs due to some weird
> networking/socket bug, but I don't remember all the details.

Huh! that's interesting!

>   Other than setting ntea (or ntsec) I don't remember why -w would fail.

I am a little unclear on this. I *wasn't setting* either of these at all before, I
had no CYGWIN env var in my .bat file. NOW, i *am* setting ntea. Am I
wanting to set "no ntea" instead???

> It's possible something got fixed between the perl5.005_03 and perl5.005_62
> releases for cygwin-b20, because I don't see this behavior.

YOU'RE the fellow aren't you? This is your binary dist of Perl I am using
right?

Hmm. Problem: I think Tk v. 8.0018 (?) -- latest release -- is broken, won't
build on Perl 5.005_62. Therefore i won't get Tk if i go with that Perl ...

> I'd recommend
> downloading and installing the later version if you can -- it's at
> http://cygutils.netpedia.net/. OTOH, if you update to the more recent
> cygwin snapshots, then the latest precompiled perl is perl5.5.640 (aka
> perl5.6 beta0), also available at cygutils.

Thanks for the info.