tar problem

I reported tar not working after applying snapshot 20000131 (stack dump
on 'tar -xf <file>, of a previous correct archive)
which I think is related to the cygwin1.dll.
I tried regenerating tar from 'gnu tar-1.13' which did not work.
After checking the source distribution of B20, I realized that this was
because B20 uses a modified 'tar-1.12' version.
This raises the question will in the future the standard 'GNU' products
support the 'cygwin' environment under NT 4.0 (and Win2000) ??
After regenerating 'tar' from the B20 source it worked fine again.

However there is a problem with 'cat' and 'binary' versus 'text' mode.

tar -cf - xxx | cat | tar -tf

will result in "tar: Skipping to next file header" error, because the
'cat' replaces LF with CR/LF.
I think 'cat' should not interfere 'binary' versus text.
How do you change stdin and stdout to process in O_BINARY mode, ioctl
.... ???

Paul

--
name: Paul van der Meij