Questions About CygWin and Licensing

Hello,

I am currently on a project for Duke Energy to evaluate the following Commerce
One Products: BuySite and XML Commerce Connector. I am currently working with
PeopleSoft as they have OEM'd the two products from Commerce One in order to
make integration into PeopleSoft easier.

As part of the installation process we install your product Cygnus Tools (i.
eCygWin). According to the dir structure this is version b20. The vendor is not
able to tell me what exactly how they are using this product so I have a few
questions...

 - Most importantly, is the vendor complying with the license agreement for your
product? I am not very familiar with the GPL licensing methods, but it appears
that they may not be. I assume the key is how the product is used. I do know
that the source is not included by the vendor.

- Would it not be better to use the commerical version instead as it is
offically supported.

- Also if a third party provides the product, are they responsible to support
it. Even if it is the commerical version.

 - And last a technical question: As cygwin provides its own posix api, I assume
it will work on a machine that already has had the NT posix api removed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a meeting with the vendors on
thursday and if I could hear something prior to then it would be a big help.

If you need to call me at work for more info, clarification. My number is
704-382-3079.

Thank You,

Jim Boyer