Timestamps in GNU make aren't checked when relying on VPATH

Jason, did you ever get a response to this?  I am using this nearly
exactly the way you described, i.e., java compiles with -d $(CODEBASE).
Timestamps do not seem to be checked.  If I change VPATH to GPATH, then
recompiles *always* occur.  Not what I expected.
--

--
Ben Groeneveld
@Work Technologies, Inc., 775 Lindsay Blvd., Idaho Falls, ID 83402

[...]